The University of Valparaíso was founded in 1981, as a continuation of the most important regional headquarters of the University of Chile. However, its origin dates back to 1911, when the first Fiscal Course of Valparaíso Laws was dictated, to which the current Law School is heir.
Its more traditional schools also have antecedents prior to their foundation: in 1933 the Nursing School was created, to which the Obstetrics and Childcare career would be added in 1955. Then, in 1941, the Montemar Marine Biology Station was born, the first of its kind in Latin America and which gave rise to the current Faculty of Marine Sciences and Natural Resources. The first Latin American School of Social Work was added in 1945, the School of Dentistry in 1952, the School of Architecture in 1957, the School of Economics in 1958 and the School of Medicine in 1966. Today, the University of Valparaíso has ten faculties: Architecture, Sciences, Economic and Administrative Sciences, Marine Sciences and Natural Resources, Law and Social Sciences, Pharmacy, Humanities, Engineering, Medicine and Dentistry. It dictates 40 undergraduate programs, 38 master's programs, eight doctorates, and 37 medical and dental specialties.
The University of Valparaíso's mission is to generate and disseminate knowledge, cultivating science and technology, the humanities and the arts, inspired by the values of participation, solidarity, equity, freedom, pluralism, critical thinking and respect for diversity.
It has more than 15 thousand undergraduate students and develops the functions of teaching, research, extension and links with the environment at the highest level of excellence, delivering the skills to train professionals and researchers that society requires, within a management framework quality and commitment to regional and national development.